I was a principal for twenty-four years including being the principal of a special school, the behaviour management school for South Australia, a metropolitan secondary school, girls school and the foundation principal for eight years of Ocean View B-12 College. Ocean View was one of the models for Mark Oliphant College.
From 2009 until 2016 I was the foundation principal of Mark Oliphant College B-12 (MOC) . www.moc.sa.edu.au
Prior to my appointment as a principal I held a variety of leadership roles both in schools and at district and state level.
After my last tenure as a principal was completed at MOC I became the Principal Leadership Consultant in the South Australian Institute of Educational Leadership (Department of Education and Child Development, South Australia).
During my tenure I developed and established the successful
- Leadership Advisor program- recruiting and organizing the appropriate training for successful current and retired leaders such that they could become Leadership Advisors (Coaches) for those newly appointed to the principalship.
- Professional Acceleration Program- a talent identification program to support and accelerate the development of secondary deputy principals to school principals.
After my last tenure I resigned and completed my training to become an accredited coach. I have now worked with well over 100 clients in this capacity. As well as delivering to school partnerships and individual school bespoke tailored aspects of the Talking Leadership Workshop program.
I have also had significant consultancies including Flexible Learning Options Review (2016), Apprenticeship Brokers Review (2017) and major school initiated reviews including topics such as Aboriginal Education (PASS 2018), School Culture (EJEHS 2017-2018), Behaviour (WSS 2019), Site Amalgamation (GHS 2019)
In addition I developed and delivered nationally the Principal WellBeing Program for the Principals Australia Institute (2016-2018).
Lynne Symons PSM
- In October 2016 awarded the John Laing Award for Leadership in Professional Development (Primary Education) by the Principal’s Australia Institute
- In November 2015 I was presented with the National Honorary Award from the Children’s University Australia in recognition outstanding commitment (to establishment and development)
- In June 2015 MOC was named as one of the 40 most innovative schools in Australia.
- In July 2014 attended Harvard Graduate School of Education for the Future of Learning Program .
- In January 2013 I was awarded a Public Service Medal for Education.
- In October 2012 I was awarded the Inspirational Leader of the Year for the SA Public Teaching Awards.
- In January 2012 MOC was awarded the status of an Apple Distinguished School – the first public school in SA awarded that honour. The status was maintained every year after during my tenure.
- Bachelor of Science (Hons- First Class) (University of Adelaide)
- Master of Science (University of Adelaide)
- Diploma of Education (University of Adelaide)
- Certificate in Management and Organizational Leadership (Management and Research Centre)
- Mentoring for Effective Teaching Trainer (TEDD -Queensland University of Technology)
- Leadership Advisor (Coaching Accreditation Program Phases 1-4) (Growth Coaching International)
- Talking Leadership Workbook
- P-12 School what is it?
- Healthy Schools — schools that care, APAPDC
- ASAP — Suicide prevention, DEETYA
- Deflect, Defuse, Defer but Deal with it.
- Teaching pro-Social Skills, AGA publication
- Education of Girls Policy Document
PROFESSIONAL PRESENTATIONS and WORKSHOPS
The underlying theme of all presentations or workshops is to make learning better for students and teachers.
- Talking Leadership series of developmental workshops
- Visionary Leadership
- The MOC Story – new school development
- Thinking about Schooling Differently
- Importance of School Structures in defining Culture
- Role and impact of Social Media/New Media
- Senior Secondary Alternatives
- Student Centred Curriculum
- Re-Imagining Schools – school reformation
- All About Space – the different contributors to improving outcomes – physical, virtual, professional and curriculum.
- Data – Sources, Issues and Mobilisation
- Project Based Learning
- Culture and Capacity
- The Future is Now – role of technology in educational improvement
EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH (published)
Role of the Principal in Alternative settings
SACE and Social Health Indicators
This is my personal blog and vlog. The opinions I express here do not represent anyone else. I make no representations other than they are my own thoughts and opinions at the time of writing.